The Green Key award
Green Key is an international eco-label for tourism facilities. Since 1994, Green Key has been a leading standard of excellence in the field of environmental responsibility and sustainable operation within the tourism industry. This prestigious eco-label represents a commitment by businesses that their tourism establishments adhere to the criteria as stipulated by the Foundation for Environmental Education (FEE)
. Green Key provides a well-proven framework for an establishment to work with its environmental management on sustainability issues, including awareness raising. The high environmental standards expected of these establishments are maintained through rigorous documentation and frequent on site audits. Green Key is eligible for hotels, hostels, small accommodations, campsites, holiday parks, conference centres, restaurants, and attractions.
After achieving the prestigious international award, the establishment can use it in its PR and marketing. For guests, Green Key shows that the establishment is committed to reducing the environmental impact of their stay.
The Green Key program is linked to the Sustainable Development Goals 2015-2030 addressed by the United Nations.
Starting from 2017, Qatar Green Building Council became the National Operator for Green Key in Qatar. Qatar Green Building Council works to maintain the high environmental standards expected of the applicant and Green Key awarded establishments through documentation and frequent audits. To learn more about Green Key click here
The prestigious award serves various establishments under six categories:
- Hotels and Hostels
- Campsites and Holiday Parks
- Small Accommodations
- Conference Centers
In order for the applicant establishment to receive a Green Key Award, the applicant establishment must meet a set of sustainability criteria itemized under thirteen domains.
- The application process requires the establishment to submit its application with the supporting documentation. Later, the applicant establishment will participate in an audit to ensure criteria has been met and best practices are being implemented.
- Onsite audits to the applicant establishments are carried out in year 1 (before first award), in year 2 and thereafter every third year.
- Offsite audits are carried out in the years without onsite audits.
- Consequently, the Green Key National Jury and after the successful audit, will award the applicant establishment The Green Key.
- The Green Key Award will be renewed yearly thereafter.
References & Downloads
- Green Key Qatar_Registration Form_Hotels (R02-Jan 2019)
- Green Key Qatar_Process Hotels (R01-October 2017)
- Green Key Qatar_Fees Hotels (R01-October 2017)
- Green Key Qatar Explanatory Notes-Hotels (R02Jan2019)
- Green Key Qatar_Application Form_Hotels (R02- Jan 2019)
- Green Key Qatar Registration Form Restaurants (R01-Jan2019)
- Green Key Qatar Application Form Restaurants (R01-Jan2019)
- Green Key Qatar Explanatory Notes Restaurants (R01-Jan2019)
- Green Key Qatar Restaurants Fee Structure (R01-Jan2019)
Tools & Resources
- Carbon calculation tool
- Water calculation tool
- Best practices
- Green Key Policies
- Download the registration form
- Send the filled form to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pay the registration fee
- Start preparing your documentation
For any question about criteria and audits, please contact Qatar Green Building Council, Green Key National Operator:
QGBC Head of Communications
Qatar Green Building Council
P.O.Box 5825, Doha-Qatar
Tel. +974 4454 7430
+974 445 40238