Peterson Qatar to Announce the ‘’Zero Plastic Week” Competition
Following our longstanding sustainability commitment and the Call For Actions from the Qatar Green Building Council during the 2021 Qatar Sustainability Week, our Peterson Office in Qatar is launching the “Zero Plastic Waste” and we invite YOU to join and compete with us!
How does it work? From the 23rd to the 30th of October you should try to avoid using and/or buying any kind of plastic to effectively produce Zero Plastic Waste. If you have no other option and do use plastic please separate this and store all the plastic that you have generated during the week. At the end of the period you will weigh your plastic waste (in grams) and record the final value. The person with the least plastic waste generated wins. It's as simple as that and anyone can participate!
Before we start let’s agree on the rules of the game:
· The competition starts on the 23rd of October at 00:01 and end on the 30th of October at 23:59
· With plastic waste we literally mean ANY plastic waste. (This includes bottles, packaging, bags and so on). So, if you get a plastic cup of coffee somewhere and this is in a single use plastic cup, you will need to take it with you to measure at the end of the week.
Tip: using a reusable cup will give a better score!
· Fruits and vegetables naturally come with a peel or rind so no plastic bags needed there, just make sure you wash them properly before you consume them.
· At the end of the competition please measure the plastic waste on a weighing scale yourself and kindly send your final results to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
· If you have a family or others in your household and it is hard to separate the plastic the best thing to do is to measure your plastic waste at the end of each day (or days) and divide this by the number of people that are in your household. Do tell them that you are competing because else it might impact your score.
· No cheating allowed. Mother nature sees everything!
Why does it matter? See below just a few shocking facts on plastic waste:
· At this rate there will be more plastic in our oceans than fish by 2050
· Around 10 million tons of plastic are dumped into our oceans annually! That is equal to more than a garbage truck load every single minute.
· Single use plastics have an average ‘’working life of about 10-15 minutes’’ but stay for hundreds of years in our environment and eventually break down into micro-plastics
· Micro-plastics are now found everywhere. In our bodies, food, drinks and nature around us
With this event we want to create awareness and at the same time improve our and your environmental footprint. By measuring your plastic waste for an entire week, we want to provide an eye-opener on the plastic waste that you personally generate.
Besides the eternal fame and glory the three best performers of the competition will also win a nice price that will be send to you. Do you think you can beat us and want to participate? Join now!
We wish you all the best and hope to see you in our competition.
The Peterson Qatar Team - More info on https://www.qatarsustainabilityweek.net/.